Hello everyone, it is good to see you guys again. This week, I would like to talk about what benefits can the social media bring to social sectors. We were asked to select an organization from the social sector and briefly describes my selected organization and how some of the value leavers may apply to my chosen organization.
My chosen social sector is Oxfam Australia.Oxfam Australia has been working with communities for more than 50 years, and we have learnt that simply giving hand outs is not the answer. Instead, we provide people with the skills and resources to help them create their own solutions to poverty. We fund long-term projects around the world and we work in a range of areas, from water and sanitation to education and health, to bring about positive change in people’s lives
McKinsy global institute have identified nine social-sector value levers that fall into four areas: collecting information and insights, mobilizing resources (including fundraising, executing mission, and organization-wide leavers). By applying McKinsy global institute’s model , Oxfam focus on “Moblizing Resources”, both money and personal is crucial to Oxfam, as they want to use social media to:
• Increase awareness of work
• Promote active citizenship
• Increase online donations
Oxfam Australia used Facebook and their official website to raise donation and promote their effort. It allows Oxfam Australia to maximize their fundraising potential because anyone,anywhere with a credit card or online payment account can donate to Oxfam, even they are too far away to offer any meaningful in-person and real-time support.
CREATING AND EXPANDING VOLUNTEER NETWORK
Besides, Oxfam Australia also used Facebook to promote their activity and get more volunteers to join them. Facebook allows more social technology user to participate in their event.
Oxfam Australia also used their official website, Facebook page to share news,responds,comments and interact with their supporter in order to retain supports and maintain a good relationship with their supporter.
Other than that, social media also offers many compelling benefits for Oxfam Australia such as:
• Learn what supporters are saying and sharing about organization.
• Drive traffic to Oxfam various web properties — websites, blogs, etc.
• Drive visitors to online donation pages.
• Enable supporters to distribute messages about Oxfam through their social web presence.
• Empower Oxfam most passionate and influential supporters to promote organization.
• Enable grassroots movements in real-time and rapidly respond to unforeseen events.
• Humanize Oxfam by not limiting communications to traditional methods or messages.
• Acquire new contacts and build supporter database.
• Increase trust and loyalty from supporters by allowing them to share their voice through feedback forums.
Thats all for this week. Hope you guys like my post. I will see you guys next week 🙂 Cheers